FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tokwoopOffline
Total posts: 5
France
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28    Post subject: I think i'll never understand the TPR issue Reply with quote

I started a lost cities final with a higher TPr than my opponent (1797 vs 1795). I did think, at the start, that i had to win two games to get the final up. And i won the first two games. But my opponent won the last two games and get , at the end, a higher TPR than me. And i LOST THE FINAL....
What is wrong? Where is the bug? Where is the explanation?
Thanks for answering or fixing it.

PS: the tournanment id were 7139
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1681
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Re: I think i'll never understand the TPR issue Reply with quote

tokwoop wrote:
I started a lost cities final with a higher TPr than my opponent (1797 vs 1795). I did think, at the start, that i had to win two games to get the final up. And i won the first two games. But my opponent won the last two games and get , at the end, a higher TPR than me. And i LOST THE FINAL....
What is wrong? Where is the bug? Where is the explanation?
Thanks for answering or fixing it.

PS: the tournanment id were 7139

Quote:
What does TPR mean?
TPR maens Tournament Perfomance Rating, so it is a kind of rating based on all your results within one tournament. It is calculated based on the ratings of your opponents at the beginning of a tournament. You can calculate TPR at the tips and tricks page.
TPR is only deciding when you end up in a tie.
The explanation, I think is: http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/toernooi.php?toernooi=7139
See the semi finals:
1. mrd95 (1843) 2 2 2 2 8--> 2025
2. tokwoop (1820) 2 2 0 0 4 --> 1952

In the semi finals you've lost 2 games, mrd95 won every game. Therefore you had to win 3 games in the finals.

Correct me if I am wrong.
tokwoopOffline
Total posts: 5
France
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, i think you're wrong Razz .
I repeat, i started with a TPR advantage, which normally should have made me winning in a 2-2 case. But in a weird way, my opponent won the last two game after i won the first two ones, and his TPR ended to be higher than mine. It seemed to depend to the order of validation of the four games... Rolling Eyes IS it a bug?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1064
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug, Marianne is right.
- overall: you have won 10 games, your opponent has won 11 games. That explains mainly why your opponent wins on TPR
- You did not start with a TPR advantage... when a final starts the TPR is shown of both players when both players loose 4 games, so you cannot use this as a basis to determine who wins on 2-2. That is why we have build an indicator for that, you can hover over the TPR with your mouse and you can see how the TPR will be in a case of 2-2
maxdk9Offline
Total posts: 1
Ukraine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently TPR give advantage to players who finish second in group stage. Like Tournament id: 8122 . In fact better lost some games and finish second then win all games in group
chardir
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdk9 wrote:
recently TPR give advantage to players who finish second in group stage. Like Tournament id: 8122 . In fact better lost some games and finish second then win all games in group

TPR is not just based on games won, it also takes into account opponents' rating. If your opponents have lower ratings you will have a lower TPR.

This means that if you have a semi or final against a much lower rated opponent your TPR will be skewed downwards compared to theirs and might be lower even with more games won overall.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxdk9 wrote:

Of course not.
1. TPR has not been changed, so no recent changes!
2. In the case of tournament 8122, your opponent has as much lower rating, so making 4-4 against you is very well done for your opponent and thus gets a lot more TPR points in the quarter final then you.
3. Loosing games will always lower your TPR!
StormyUKOffline
Total posts: 15
Uk
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 13:00    Post subject: TPR OR NUMBER OF WINS? Reply with quote

OK, having read this post .... I have a query - I won 3 games in the semi finals, and my opponent won 2 ... I assumed that if the final ended in a draw, I would win. But .... that didnt happen. (We both won same number of games in Round 1) Overall I won 9, my opponent won 8 .... so why did my opponent win the final?

Tournament overview < > (Tournament id: 8198)
Name: en garde 27 Feb 2013 14:31
Stage: final
Period: 27-02-2013

Now I am confused! So regardless of number of games won in previous rounds, if the final ends in a 2-2 draw, then the player with higher TPR wins? That sort of contradicts the posts in this thread.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on 2-2 the player with the higher TPR wins. It does not contradict anything I explained.
krell42Offline
Vip
Vip

Total posts: 15
Usa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

I can't understand TPR either.

I just finished the semifinals of tournament 8751.

When the semifinals began, I had a 1 point advantage in TPR over my opponent. I had a lower rating than my opponent, so I thought that if the result ended 2-2, I would win. I won the first game finished, and my opponent won the second game. After which, I still maintained a 1 point advantage in TPR.

I lost the third game finished, but won the fourth game, resulting in a 2-2 tie. For some unknown reason, my opponent beat me by 1 TPR point.

I repeat - I was the lower rated player - how could my higher rated opponent have suddenly passed me in TPR when we split games!!!!!? Shouldn't I have received MORE TPR than my opponent since he/she had the higher ranking????!

I believe something is wrong in the program.
chardir
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19    Post subject: Re: agreed Reply with quote

krell42 wrote:
I can't understand TPR either.

I just finished the semifinals of tournament 8751.

When the semifinals began, I had a 1 point advantage in TPR over my opponent. I had a lower rating than my opponent, so I thought that if the result ended 2-2, I would win. I won the first game finished, and my opponent won the second game. After which, I still maintained a 1 point advantage in TPR.

I lost the third game finished, but won the fourth game, resulting in a 2-2 tie. For some unknown reason, my opponent beat me by 1 TPR point.

I repeat - I was the lower rated player - how could my higher rated opponent have suddenly passed me in TPR when we split games!!!!!? Shouldn't I have received MORE TPR than my opponent since he/she had the higher ranking????!

I believe something is wrong in the program.

See the earlier responses. At the start of the semi-final the TPR is shown for each player as if they had both lost all four games. This is of course impossible, so that TPR value is irrelevant. If you mouse-hover over the TPR you can see what the values would be if the result is 4-4; this is the only TPR value that matters.

EDIT: I just looked at 8751. At the end of the QFs you had a TPR of 1891. Your SF opponent Boddie had a TPR of 1968. You did not have the advantage. You can see Boodie's TPR dropped more than yours in the SF, but it was not enough for you to win.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
That is why we have build an indicator for that, you can hover over the TPR with your mouse and you can see how the TPR will be in a case of 2-2

Late reply but... Smile

Ah, I hadn't noticed that before, thank you. It says 4-4, but presumably it works for any 2-2 tie in normal tournaments?
Mike_UK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprinted wrote:

Ah, I hadn't noticed that before, thank you. It says 4-4, but presumably it works for any 2-2 tie in normal tournaments?

I had long thought that 4-4 in the hover text was a mistake. However it's not. It refers to points not games. A tie can be 2 games each, 1 game each and 2 draws or 4 draws but will always be 4-4 in points.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence. I went 'ah ha' about that yesterday!
jjlj
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it simply TPR is about how good is the result you have obtained, knowing how good you and your opponents were prior the tournament.

I agree that the 'predicted' TPR based on if you loose everything can be confusing. A higher predicted TPR might suggest you would win in a draw, but you should not underestimate the effect of a weaker opponent that wins twice from you, raising his TPR more, than you winning twice from him. The hover function covers this 'bug' (incorrect word), so the system function perfect.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: