FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5foot9
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 22:53    Post subject: Introduce Turbo tournaments Reply with quote

Maybe introducing turbo tournaments for players that like to play quicker, with 1 or 2 days per turn without all these buffer rules. There are plenty of Carcassonne players that get fed up with waiting for consistant slow play. Tournaments should take 2 or 3 weeks max not 2 or 3 months.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1065
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you do not understand our current rules.. Your solution will not speed up tournaments, even slow then them... You now have max 1 day per turn (+ a buffer). So suppose a game lasts 50 turns
- in our solution slowest player will finish this game in 50 days + 6 days = 56 days
- in your solution of 1 day per turn: it will lasts 50 days
- in your solution of 2 days per turn: it will lasts 100 days
5foot9
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of players who will play 5, 10, or 20 moves per day in a single game. I suggested turbo tournaments as an addition not a replacement.
30, 40, or 50 days to finish one game is ridiculously slow.

How about a census to see how play could evolve?
tpfnat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what is your solution for turboplayers who play in different time-schedules? (because of work, or different countries). They can do ver 200 moves every day, but, because they are not online at the same time, they will do only one move against each other.
facet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 14:53    Post subject: +1 Reply with quote

Firstly I want to say how much I appreciate YTMT. It rocks.

There is a large difference in my YTMT enjoyment between games where my opponent take the max time and where my opponent makes an effort to respond quickly. I really enjoy it when both players happen to be simultaneously online and are able to take a few moves each. Therefore I would wish for this to be the design goal of a Turbo Tournament. ; )

I would like to be able to filter who I play with in (turbo) tournaments based on some 'speed filter' such as:
    the average number of moves they make in a week.
    their average response time
    the average game completion time
    or some other metric

Note I do not want to exclude people!

However I am unhappy with my tournament experiences so far.
SilverTrainOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 115
Usa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 21:51    Post subject: Re: time rules Reply with quote

bram wrote:
- in our solution slowest player will finish this game in 50 days + 6 days = 56 days
- in your solution of 1 day per turn: it will lasts 50 days
- in your solution of 2 days per turn: it will lasts 100 days

This may be correct as a technical matter, although it assumes that our imaginary "slowest player" will move consistently at a rate of one move per game per day, which is unlikely. I have found that the slower players are more erratic, making a rash of moves periodically, then strangely disappearing for a few days or so.

The best way to arrange an accelerated tournament is by using a running clock for each player, accurate to the minute or second (commonly called a "Fischer's clock") whereby your clock runs when it is your turn. There is a total game time for each player, and at option a stipulation could be made to accrue a smaller incremental bonus time for each move. This has an additional allure because slow players would avoid entry.

What is most bothersome about the current system is the lack of hourly recaps, which allows movement on an undeserved time margin (the difference between when an actual timeout occurs and when the daily recaps are conducted). This really allots an extra two days, because the player gets one full day that counts down as "1 day" and another full day counting down by individual hours, all in a game they fairly should have already lost on time.
5foot9
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpfnat wrote:
And what is your solution for turboplayers who play in different time-schedules? (because of work, or different countries). They can do ver 200 moves every day, but, because they are not online at the same time, they will do only one move against each other.

Obviously I don't have a solution, just a suggestion for an additional type of tournament. I'm guessing that there are a few players that prefer less games and more moves. From my experience its more fun playing against opponents that are willing to play alot of moves in one hit.

Maybe x amount of moves per x days could be part of the criteria, maybe a check box for times players can play. maybe snail symbols next to slow players names! or rockets for the speed freaks!
ruben87
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:

This is not true Bram. the slowest player will move in the evening and then when his oponent isnt there the evening after the next day. So The slowest player against a player who goes before 23:00 in bed will take maximum of 100 days + 6 days = 106 days.

This is a great site, and it is stil improving, but this is the weakest point of the site (in my opinion).
tpfnat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28    Post subject: Re: time rules Reply with quote

SilverTrain wrote:

The best way to arrange an accelerated tournament is by using a running clock for each player, accurate to the minute or second (commonly called a "Fischer's clock") whereby your clock runs when it is your turn. There is a total game time for each player, and at option a stipulation could be made to accrue a smaller incremental bonus time for each move. This has an additional allure because slow players would avoid entry.

This could work fine in games between people, but is very hard to use in regular tournaments. Assume that I'm online from 12:00 GMT till 18:00 GMT and I play around 200 moves. I guess I will be seen as a fast and active player. Another player is online from 19:00 till 20:00 GMT and usually does one move per game. In your proposed system The active player will loose almost a day, where the less active player looses several hours.
SilverTrainOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 115
Usa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:55    Post subject: Re: time rules Reply with quote

tpfnat wrote:

This could work fine in games between people, but is very hard to use in regular tournaments. Assume that I'm online from 12:00 GMT till 18:00 GMT and I play around 200 moves. I guess I will be seen as a fast and active player. Another player is online from 19:00 till 20:00 GMT and usually does one move per game. In your proposed system The active player will loose almost a day, where the less active player looses several hours.

..... but it could also occur in reverse. Improbable scenarios that strain credibility can easily be conjured and perfect solutions are elusive, but this doesn't make fast tournaments an unworthy idea. A player who goes on just once per day (even if for six hours) isn't going to be drawn to a fast tournament, neither will the players who don't make many moves. Rather, it would be ideal for those of us who log on multiple times per day and make many moves.

The problem is that non-members are subject to the 50 move limit, which is remedied by making fast tournaments available to members only; call it a benefit. It might even boost membership; after all, some attempt ought to be considered. The site is great, with an interesting variety of offerings, but rather anemic considering it took almost six years just to get about 100 paying members.
vlv_g0d_vlv14
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can be a buffer thing of 2 or 3 days max to make a move which would be best if it was only 1 day it would be crazy and alot of people can lose the game with running out of time like I did in 2 dot games and I was angry about it.
StormyUKOffline
Total posts: 15
Uk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14    Post subject: Slow tournaments Reply with quote

I read this topic with interest, as Bram mentions the slowest player will finish the game in 56 days. My favourite game is En Garde, but one of the tournaments I entered - which started mid April is still running at the first stage, not even at semi finals yet. So far, 90 days plus for first stage (in line with ruben87 reply). I have upgraded to VIP and then Super VIP so I can continue to enter other tournaments, but it is frustrating, that my group has finished, and I qualify for the semi, but this will not commence until the other group has finished playing. This is the case in more than on tournament, by the way.

Is it possible to put a cap/ceiling on completion of stage 1 of a tournament. X number of days after a tournament has started all games need to be completed?
StormyUKOffline
Total posts: 15
Uk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33    Post subject: Long running tournament Reply with quote

Update on my post above .... This tournament 6524 is still in first stage, with 2 games left to play .... So now at 120 days!
mrlewis1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Turbo with stipulation Reply with quote

Just start a Turbo tourney and stipulate it is for players that move more than once a day, I really love this site but some of the tourneys do drag on and on and if you are at your Max of tourneys the slow play pevents a person from entering more.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1065
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24    Post subject: Re: Turbo with stipulation Reply with quote

mrlewis1 wrote:
Just start a Turbo tourney and stipulate it is for players that move more than once a day, I really love this site but some of the tourneys do drag on and on and if you are at your Max of tourneys the slow play pevents a person from entering more.

You cannot stipulate a person to make more then 1 move a day, if you come up with a system that cannot be cheated or manipulated by a player by waiting until last minute so opponent cannot make the extra move needed I will think about it and probably implement it.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: