FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chardir
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkElf wrote:
nope look at championschip minesweeper round 1

poule 1 heroic 12/12
poule 2 Darkelf 12/12

i got more tpr

Those are two different groups, and with different numbers of players!

Within the same group, with the same number of points, TPR order is the inverse of rating order.

Bram says that a player's rating is not used in TPR calculation. I know this is technically true, but at the point where it matters, when used in a tiebreak, TPR order is the reverse of rating order. This is always true in groups, and almost always true in semi-finals and finals where both players have won the same number of games (in the whole tournament).

I'd be interested in an example where this is not the case, I expect it will be very hard to find!
cyrnos41Offline

Total posts: 7
France
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completly agree with Chardir !! He is right !! I said it several times to Bram !!! The better way to be fair (in LC game) is to propose 3 or 5 games in semi and final !!!
rekor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

every player you talk to dislikes the current system. Why not have a poll
tpfnat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is not every player. This discussion has been going on as well on this site, as on the Dutch and German version several times.

The players who want a change are shouting loud, but the plyers who think it's the least bad way of deciding are not joining the decision, because they do not really care.

I'm one of them. Every system has it's flaws, but this is the easiest generic way of deciding.

For Chardir the flaws of best of 5:
- color advantage (connect four, go-moku, pente)
- still a draw (mill, draughts, checkers, crack the code)

Last edited by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49; edited 1 time in total
chardir
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, before I'm mis-represented any more I'd like to restate my position.

I do not think TPR is unfair. I do think it's a reasonable tiebreaker.

The point that I'm objecting to is that it has been stated that your rating doesn't affect your TPR, when in fact, it has a significant influence.

I wouldn't want best of 5 finals because they give an uneven first turn advantage, plus that doesn't solve the problem of ties at the group stage.
cyrnos41Offline

France
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:33    Post subject: Semi ans final Reply with quote

Hello with all! First of all, I wanted to repeat that I really find this site very well. I had already said to the administrators. The goal is of this is to have fun and for my part, I have a lot of fun!! But it seems to me that it is important to say what every one thinks to improve play (LC for my part). I continue to say that the system for the semi-final and the final is not the most fair possible. For LC, the poucentage of success is of 60% for the best players….but with the current system, it is necessary to win 3 matches to pass the following turn. I must admit that I had thought to wait games i 'll lose for having a bad rating, and this to have more chance to pass next round!! I didn't do it but some players do it! And i think that the solution is very simple. I don't understand why some players are oppose. System TPR is good to decide between the players during the first rounds but not for the semi and the final. it's my point of view and I do not seek to impose on the others. It's a reflexion and if the majority thinks that old system is better, it is ok for me!
DarkElf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

oke cardir.
i know your point and understand it. but if you play well in the poules.
like say the example i used from heroic and me.

and we would got to semi against each other.

i will plrolly got true the next round based on TPR.(if its a tie)
like tpfnat said. every systems has his flaws. but i like this system. it costed me some semi finals position in poules not going true the semi even whit 10/12 points. just because i am the favorit of the group.

you should prove yourself. simple like that. :p

T
jjflandon
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this: if a semi-final or final finishes 4-4 then an additional two games are played. If after that it is 6-6, then another two games are played, and so on. I think it would be fun to be involved in a long, close contest like that! Would this solution be feasible?
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alternatives - odd numbers of games or aggregate scores - that would be better for some games and horrible for others. Over all the games here, the current system works.

Why yes, I did just (in more senses than one!) win a final 2-2 despite having a rating 176 points higher than my opponent Smile

What made the difference is that I won my semi 4-0 and they went through after a 2-2 tie-break there = I won more games throughout the tournament. Which, if you think about it, is a good basis for a tie-breaker.

FWIW, I think the game that needs most changes is Backgammon where a series of 'best of one' games loses half the skill in the game. Although it's a popular game (the only one left with 28 player tournaments, I think) there are far better places to play it.
cyrnos41Offline

France
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still do not agree. The best player have less chance to win amd i don t like it. Its like in ´tennis´if Federer or nadal ll start tournament with ´handicap´ .They are best rating in Atp system, and imagine that they start tounament with handicap of 2 games in each set.
Big kisses to my friend from Brasil where i am on holidays.
Geeza
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 20:32    Post subject: I agree best of 5 would be better Reply with quote

You don't get the Wimbledon Tennis final or any other best of 4, and if it is 2-2 we will use a complicated points system based on world and tournament rankings worked out from your level of opposition. That would be laughable wouldn't it? Make it a level playing field.
vlv_g0d_vlv14
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TPR is mainly favouring the lowest rating player because it would be unfair if the highest player keeps winning all the time 2-2 and it gives others a chance of beating the high ranking player but sometimes TPR favours the highest ranking player which for my first tornament I won by 3 TPR points which I was surprised but there is Tips and tricks plus u can also calulate the TPR on the bottom of the page and add up the TPR which is going to be and I find that the TPR is fair in everyway but it might stuff up sometimes but its just life Smile
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: