FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rekor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 13:18    Post subject: Semi Final and Final Scoring Reply with quote

The way the semi finals and finals are handled when the score is 2-2 encourages players with high ratings to loose non tornament games on purpose. This then lowers their rating instead so instead of having to win3-1 to go through, they only have to draw 2-2.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1066
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If players do that, it's not allowed and could lead to a ban.
2. if they do that they risk getting in a poule of better players and thus more difficult to win.
3. and if they do that it is by far not sure they win if they have 2-2!

I think you do not understand our system of TPR! TPR does not depend on your rating, not at all. your TPR is based on
1. how many games you won
2. the average rating of your opponents...
3. only in 1 tournament

So the better you play against difficult opponents the higher your TPR
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a problem in practice, but having a lower rating means that, if you have won the same number of games as the other person, #2 means your TPR will almost always be higher = you win the tie-break.

There are games where it'd be possible to have the tie-break based on aggregate scores, but I can see that'd involve more new code than it's worth.

At the moment, higher rated players have to do better to win ties. It's sometimes annoying - especially in LC where the highest ranked players only win 60ish% of games, i.e. there's a high luck element - but it's reasonable Smile
rekor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 15:24    Post subject: Easy solution Reply with quote

The solution is obvious make it best out of 3 or best out of 5
rekor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know of one player whose rating dropped from 1900 to 1400 he is now competing in semi finals and finals
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

rekor wrote:
i know of one player whose rating dropped from 1900 to 1400 he is now competing in semi finals and finals

If he has done that on purpose he can get banned, just contact us and sent us the username of that player.
tpfnat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the problem in that. It only works when you score 4-4
chardir
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:

2. if they do that they risk getting in a poule of better players and thus more difficult to win.

This is not true. If you have the highest rating in the first round you have to score 11 or 12 points to guarantee progress. If you are second highest rated you only need 10 points. In games with some random element, or a significant first turn advantage it is very difficult to get 100%

I don't really mind the use of TPR, but in this tournament format there is a heavy bias towards the lower rated players.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You completely misunderstand my point... If you are the highest rated player you will be placed no 1 in the poule and miss the no 2 3 4 strongest players!
5foot9
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the TPR have any bearing on which group you go into or is it a random draw?
chardir
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
You completely misunderstand my point... If you are the highest rated player you will be placed no 1 in the poule and miss the no 2 3 4 strongest players!

I understood your point. My response was that it doesn't help that you are placed against lower rated players because you have to win more games to progress.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

chardir wrote:
bram wrote:

I understood your point. My response was that it doesn't help that you are placed against lower rated players because you have to win more games to progress.

Sure it does help... it's easier to win...
DarkElf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the more you win, the better your TPR is
chardir
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkElf wrote:
and the more you win, the better your TPR is

But if two players win the same number of games the one with the higher rating will have the lower TPR. And TPR is only taken into account when there is a tie. So at the only time it matters, TPR favours the lower rated player.

Once you reach the semi-final and final stages you can win a 4-4 tie if you won more games in previous rounds, but again if you have won the same number of games the lower rated player will (almost always) have the higher TPR.
DarkElf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope look at championschip minesweeper round 1

poule 1 heroic 12/12
poule 2 Darkelf 12/12

i got more tpr
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: