FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24    Post subject: Who and how many go through to the next round? Reply with quote

Given my awful performance in the first round of Lost Cities (p5, w2, l3) I was amazed to be in the second. But given that it's gone from eight groups (four of which had six players) to seven (all of seven), it looks like only three people have actually been eliminated!

It's made me look at another one I was in, Summy, where the second round has started. That's gone from 27 players to 14. But although I had the 13th highest TPR after round one, I'm not among them.

I'm not hugely upset - this was my first time Summying - but I am confused: why so few eliminations in LC and how were they decided in Summy?
buffalo147
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite simple to determine if you look at it from end to start.

Finals: 2 players
Semi-finals: 4 players
Final elimination round: 14 players (2 groups of 7)
preliminary round 2: 49 players (7 groups of 7)
preliminary round 1: 147 players (21 groups of 7)

This means that when a championship has more than 49 players at the start (e.g. 54 players) it will go to 49 players for the next round. In the example of 54 players, this means that only 5 players will go out. From that stage on only the first two players of a group will go a round further. From 49 players divided in 7 groups going to 14 players (so this means the first two of each group = 2 x 7 = 14 will advance). And so on 'till the finals.

If a championship has less than 49 players at the start (which is the case for most of the championships in this first year) the next round will already be the final elimination round hosting 14 players. So it's just a matter of counting it up. The first two are always sure to go through, the best nrs3 and in some cases the best nrs 4 will also advance to the enxt round.

Example 1: 24 participants will be divided in 4 groups of 6 players. This means that the first 3 of each group will go to the next round, which gives us 12 players (3 x 4). So we still need 2 players to get to 14 players. These 2 players will be the two best nrs 4 (out of 4 nrs 4).

Example 2: 15 participants at the start. The next round will go to 14, so only 1 player will go out, the worst player who finished last in his group (the player who has the least points and the worst tpr at the end).

I hope you catch the idea of how things work.

2 - 4 - 14 - 49 - 147. That are the magic numbers of players that will go to a particular round. Only in the first round there is a chance to go through if your not first or second in your group. It all depends on the total number of participants how many extra players will go through.

Hope this clears it up for you. Smile
buffalo147
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerning your question about summy. You and berlin have equal points and equal tpr after round 1. At this moment you are shown as the nr 3 (because your rating is higher than berlins rating at the moment).

It is possible that at the moment round 1 ended, you were placed 4th and berlin 3rd, because berlins rating was higher at that moment.
Can you recall if you were placed 4th or 3rd at that molent ?

Any way, berlin advanced to the next round, while you just didn't make it.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
StormyUKOffline
Total posts: 15
Uk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20    Post subject: Groups of 6 are disadvantaged ... Reply with quote

It seems that if you are drawn in a group of 6 rather than a group of 7, you will be at a disadvantage if you finish third, as the groups of 7 will have played one more game, and likely have more points. Or is TPR going to be considered instead of number of points?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1064
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:58    Post subject: Re: Groups of 6 are disadvantaged ... Reply with quote

StormyUK wrote:
It seems that if you are drawn in a group of 6 rather than a group of 7, you will be at a disadvantage if you finish third, as the groups of 7 will have played one more game, and likely have more points. Or is TPR going to be considered instead of number of points?

no points. but you have statistically more chance to be 1 or 2 in a smaller group Smile
66sixxOffline
Total posts: 22
Usa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this year's domino championship, there are 52 players, split into 4 groups of 7 and 4 groups of 6.

The top 6 from each group (8x6=48 players) will advance to Round 2 with the 49th spot going to the 7th placed player with the best TPR.

This means that all 6 players from the groups of 6 will advance. I find this a major flaw with the championship format. Is it possible to change the format for next year so that every player can face elimination in every round?
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: