FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icebrg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 21:59    Post subject: Holding back cards vs. playing your own Reply with quote

Question Mad

Maybe I've been playing this game all wrong! Everyone I play always seems much more concerned with holding back the cards they think I need instead of playing their own cards. Is this how this game should be played? I collect cards waiting for handshake cards and never get them, yet I never seem to get the cards to "hold back" from my opponent. Where should the priority be? I seem to lose to players that do this so maybe that is the way to go.
yoohooOffline

Total posts: 3
Usa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideal strategy is, of course, to do both. Both are equally important in my opinion.
Glorfindel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it depends on cards you get.
You might not believe it, but the skill factor in Lost Cities is about equal to the skill factor in Dicegame ...
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a game by Reinier Knizia and his trademark is zugzwang: most of his games feature situations where you would rather pass than do something, but you are not given that choice!

So in LC, you usually have to decide whether to play what you have or wait for more via discarding something your opponent might want. Without that, there is not much game Smile

Yes, this is a game where luck plays a huge part - if you look at the win-loss records of the top rated players, no-one wins much more than 60% of games. Compare that with chess, where the top rated players (and their PCs?) lose hardly any.
dg_is_funOnline
Total posts: 7
Usa
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 22:22    Post subject: Luck higher than in Dicegame because too few rounds Reply with quote

Glorfindel wrote:
Honestly, it depends on cards you get.
You might not believe it, but the skill factor in Lost Cities is about equal to the skill factor in Dicegame ...

Top players in Dicegame and Domino have higher win percentages than top players in Lost Cities. The problem is playing a single round. The game was designed to be played in three rounds. If Domino is four rounds, it seems Lost Cities should be at least two rounds.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: