FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc1974Offline
Total posts: 3
Germany
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37    Post subject: TPR Reply with quote

Can this be right?

I play a soccer tournament with 14 people, In my group i have 11 points and place 1. In the other group zsom have 10 points and is 2nd.
Now in the semi-final he have a TPR 1773 and i have 1663 and must win 3 of 4 games. Why is it so? Is it right so?

Greets
Marc
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1066
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02    Post subject: Re: TPR Reply with quote

Marc1974 wrote:
Can this be right?

I play a soccer tournament with 14 people, In my group i have 11 points and place 1. In the other group zsom have 10 points and is 2nd.
Now in the semi-final he have a TPR 1773 and i have 1663 and must win 3 of 4 games. Why is it so? Is it right so?

Greets
Marc

You never can look at the TPR in the beginning of the semi final to determine if you need 2 or 3 games. If no games are played in the semifinal both players are given a TPR as if they 4 games lost in the semi final. But in this case your rating is also a lot higher then your opponent so your opponent gains a lot more TPR if he wins!
To be certain you need to calculate your TPR as if you won 2 and lost 2 via our TPR calculator on the tips and tricks page.
wccanard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19    Post subject: Re: TPR Reply with quote

bram wrote:

To be certain you need to calculate your TPR as if you won 2 and lost 2 via our TPR calculator on the tips and tricks page.

So now your next question should be "...so why don't you display what your TPR would be if you won 2 and lost 2, rather than the guaranteed-to-be-irrelevant figures you currently display? You may as well display the weather forecast in Rotterdam!" Wink
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

We display it, because that is the current TPR. That is the only thing we can show.

If I showed the TPR at 2-2 with 0 games played, what do I need to show when you finished 1 game?
wccanard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
We display it, because that is the current TPR. That is the only thing we can show.

No! You could show the *only* relevant statistic, which is both players' TPR if it is 2-2. This is the only time TPR is ever needed, and hence it is a fact that any other evaluation of TPR at any score other than 2-2 is irrelevant.

Quote:

If I showed the TPR at 2-2 with 0 games played, what do I need to show when you finished 1 game?

The TPR if it is 2-2!

Bram, I have mentioned this to you before, and I know you are a reasonable guy and take these things seriously, and so I am pretty sure that you have given this some thought and have decided that you are not going to change anything. But it is still a fact that what I am suggesting is "strictly more sensible" than what is implemented. By this I mean that there is *never* a situation where what you display is more helpful to know than what I suggest, and there do exist situations where what I suggest is more helpful than what you display---for example, when two players with close TPR are playing and both want to know whether 2-2 will be enough. This is especially important in games like 4 in a row when ties can exist, and where one player can see that they can force a tie in the 4th game when it is 1.5-1.5 and they need to know whether this is enough). If you have ever got to a final and asked yourself this question ("will 2-2 do?"), you will know well that it takes quite some time to add up all the games you played against all the opponents you have met in all the previous rounds, to compute some averages, and to type it into the TPR calculator. But this is a calculation that would be trivial for the system to do.

I promise I will never mention this issue again Very Happy Thanks for the great site.
Daggerheart
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 19:14    Post subject: TPR points Reply with quote

Hey,

Can somebody explain how the TPR system works? If a semi-final ends 2-2, will the guy with the highest TPR go to the final?
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1683
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Re: TPR points Reply with quote

Daggerheart wrote:
Hey,

Can somebody explain how the TPR system works? If a semi-final ends 2-2, will the guy with the highest TPR go to the final?

If you go with your mouse over the TPR from both players (at the tournaments page) you can see what the final result will be.
For instance: http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/toernooi.php?toernooi=3012
If you hover your mouse over the TPR you will see what the TPR will be when it's 4-4
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yes when 2-2 in matches the player with the highest TPR will go to next round.
Daggerheart
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 13:25    Post subject: Please changed the finals... Reply with quote

TPR in the final. I am currently in an En garde final. I don't like the way the TPR works in the final... En garde should be decided by a win, not TPR when it's 2-2 after 4 matches...

I think this should be changed... The En garde final (all finals?) should have 5 matches... that way one would win in a "good" way... (or at least there should be a final match when it's 2-2...)

I think the finals should end when one player get 3 wins...
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1683
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 15:13    Post subject: Re: Please changed the finals... Reply with quote

Daggerheart wrote:
TPR in the final. I am currently in an En garde final. I don't like the way the TPR works in the final... En garde should be decided by a win, not TPR when it's 2-2 after 4 matches...

I think this should be changed... The En garde final (all finals?) should have 5 matches... that way one would win in a "good" way... (or at least there should be a final match when it's 2-2...)

I think the finals should end when one player get 3 wins...

There are already a lot of posts about this subject.
For instance: http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?p=2160#2160
Therefore I close this one.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: