Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveOliverC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:34    Post subject: 7 pieces? Reply with quote

I own Subulata and in the rules it states that each player starts with all 9 of the pieces of their color.

In your version, each player starts with only 7 pieces. What is this different from the game?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1075
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have decided this with the author of the game, he likes this variant even more then the one with 9 pieces, and the game is a bit faster and better for turnbased!

Last edited by bram on Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:34; edited 1 time in total
Cwali
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I made the game.
In the prototype versions the number of pawns differed often: 4, 6, 8, 9. Together with the number of fields: 6x6, 8x8, 9x9. I finally found the 9x9 version with 9+9 Subulatas the best, but nowadays I prefer to use 6 or 7 pawns. (Another reason is that I like a shorter/smaller version for a turn-based website, especially in case of a 'think-game'.)

Last match on the boardgame I played with 6 pawns, and another difference: The 3 empty spaces on your start tile were the 3 spaces 'at the corner' (so the most near to your corner of the board) and the pawns were placed random (your opponent places your pawns without seeing the numbers). I like that way much too.

At least you have the right material in the game to play it this way if you want. It would be less fine if the boardgame had 6 or 7 pawns and I advice later a variant with 9. Smile At the other hand, I wish I choose a bit shorter version before the release, but you must choose some time.
SteveOliverC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 16:01    Post subject: Interesting! Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! That turned out to be a very interesting answer. I got to find out some of the game's design history, too. I will have to try the 7 piece variant using the set I have at home.

For the 6 piece variant that you mention with the 3 empty spaces near the corner -- you must have used different tiles for those? I don't think I have any tiles like that in my set. Would it work to try the 6 pieces and have your opponent randomly set up your pieces, but using the regular tiles in the game?
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: