FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathalie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:44    Post subject: less people in a tournament? Reply with quote

Hi!

I was wondering is it possible that the tournaments start with less people so you will have smaller poules?

The waiting time for a tournament to start is so long that it is no fun wainting on a tournament to start.

Maybe it is an option to run the tournament with less people fot the games that aren't that populair on this site??

Nathalie
florrat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 21:42    Post subject: Re: less people in a tournament? Reply with quote

nathalie wrote:
Hi!

I was wondering is it possible that the tournaments start with less people so you will have smaller poules?

The waiting time for a tournament to start is so long that it is no fun wainting on a tournament to start.

Maybe it is an option to run the tournament with less people fot the games that aren't that populair on this site??

Nathalie
I agree, I think 14 players is better, and then play without quarter final... And I think it's even better to do that for every game...
If this site will become more populair, it might be turned back to 28 players per tournament...
If it's technically possible to change it, why shouldn't it changed?
TheTimmy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second it
StephanOffline
Total posts: 79
Usa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about starting a tournament with 16 players; 4 poules of 4, first two of each to quarterfinal and keep the format the same from there?

I agree that the waiting time is way too long.
BakedAlaskan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the tournaments be 3 days not 5 day moves. Seems its always the same'ol people taking all 5 days to make a move. Tournaments always waiting on the same ppl to make moves. (wont mention any names cause they know who they are LOL)

Its very annoying...
StephanOffline
Total posts: 79
Usa
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

BakedAlaskan wrote:
I would like to see the tournaments be 3 days not 5 day moves. Seems its always the same'ol people taking all 5 days to make a move. Tournaments always waiting on the same ppl to make moves. (wont mention any names cause they know who they are LOL)

Its very annoying...

But that's why this is a turnbased site. They're completely in their right to do so. And it also wouldn't sove the problem of having to wait so long before a tournament starts.
DarkOne
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, I think his point is that making tournaments last less long will entail to people being able to enlist in new tournaments sooner.

On another site, the same discussion keeps coming back, but since the speed is one move per day, making it 3 days instead of 5 only shortens a tournament by 2 days tops
BakedAlaskan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
BakedAlaskan wrote:

Its very annoying...

But that's why this is a turnbased site. They're completely in their right to do so. And it also wouldn't sove the problem of having to wait so long before a tournament starts.

Yes, I agree, it IS in their rights... Just making a point of slow players in tourneys. We could have 3 day tourneys instead OR in adjacent to the ones we have now.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1064
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:19    Post subject: Re: less people in a tournament? Reply with quote

nathalie wrote:
Hi!

Nathalie

we have chosen another option:

Quote:
We have improved the tournament joining system. The problem was that or the impopular games there almost didn't start any tournament. For those game types we have removed the joining restriction. So even if you have reached your maximum number of allowed tournament, you can still join the tournaments for those game types.

This applies for now on the following game types:

checkers
chess
crack the code
dots and boxes
draughts
go
halma
mill
oware
reversi
subulata
tablut
We will shorten the list again if the number of playing users increases and there is no more need to do this in order to start a tournament of a specific game type.
nathalie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

oke thanks i hope this will work....
blueshield11Offline
Total posts: 5
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is better to lower the amount of people to let a tournament start, at least for some games.

E.g. before the tournament battleships has reached 28 players it is taking a long time. And even then it is taking a long time before even round 1 is finished (timedifferences between countries is one of the reasons it takes so long).

The amount of registered users on YTMT is only 9757.

The dutch equivalent of YTMT, jijbent.nl, has 21835 users at the moment and the tournaments starts when 28 players entered a tournament. I think the battleships tournaments start once a day or in 2 days.

So you can imagine how long it will take here at YTMT for 28 players has entered a battleship tournament.

Maybe less players in those kind of tournaments ??
atlchica
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second both ideas, of decreasing the number of players in a tournament, and speeding up the turn time in a tournament. Another site I play at gives players only 72 hours to make a turn in a tournamnet, and it keeps the tournaments moving. As it is now, I still have a tournament on my list that started in March, and has only just recently gone to the quarterfinals due to a very slow player. That's too long.

As for the # of players, 28 is a lot of players, and for less popular games with restricted tournament registration, it can take a long time to get enough people. Rummy is my favorite game, but now that it counts toward your tournament maximum, it takes a week or more to get enough players to start.
maggie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 20:21    Post subject: whats the hurry Reply with quote

I dont see why we need to hurry tournies any faster, there are always other to join, and even a friendlies you can start.. I think 28 players leads to plenty compition..
I love this site for the games I play here
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1064
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a test I have introduced tournaments with 14 instead of 28. This is now for: mill, reversi, go, castle danger and dots and boxes. If all goes well I will introduce it for other games as well if tournaments are slow starters.

it is difficult to test, so there is a possibility for bugs (also in already running tournaments).
blueshield11Offline
Total posts: 5
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great you have taken notice of the problem and that there are changes now.

Let's hope it works and will be added to battle ships as well.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: