FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1672
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
Marianne

Please add "pitter" found in the online dictionary, meaning a device for removing pits (stones) from cherries or olives. For example, see below.

7-in. Stainless Steel Cherry and Olive Pitter by Leifheit Customer ReviewBestseller
With the invention of this handy kitchen tool, removing cherry and olive...(more)

Very handy if you make pies or chop a lot of olives for tapenade, etc.

Thank you.

Pitter(s) has been added.
bones43902
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46    Post subject: request to add new word Reply with quote

Please add ae it is listed in the free dictinary.com source that is one of the two you are accepting.
ae ()
adj. Chiefly Scots
One.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Variant of a2.]

Bonnie
bones43902
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:33    Post subject: request to add new word Reply with quote

How about KA also found in the free dictionary Noun 1. Ka - unknown god; an epithet of Prajapati and Brahma
Hindu deity - a deity worshipped by the Hindus
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:16    Post subject: Re: request to add new word Reply with quote

bones43902 wrote:
Please add ae it is listed in the free dictinary.com source that is one of the two you are accepting.
ae ()
adj. Chiefly Scots
One.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Variant of a2.]

Bonnie

We play Wordgame only with American and English words.
Not added.
See also my answer at page 1. For the same request.
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:19    Post subject: Re: request to add new word Reply with quote

bones43902 wrote:
How about KA also found in the free dictionary Noun 1. Ka - unknown god; an epithet of Prajapati and Brahma
Hindu deity - a deity worshipped by the Hindus

Ka is a proper name and therefore not allowed.
Mike28a
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marianne

Please add eden and its plural edens, meaning generically a paradise, not a proper name. It is in the free dictionary. Thank you

Mike
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
Marianne

Please add eden and its plural edens, meaning generically a paradise, not a proper name. It is in the free dictionary. Thank you

Mike

Has been added.
Rastaro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marianne

can you please check why 'weds' isn't allowed.

Rohi
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rastaro wrote:
Hi Marianne

can you please check why 'weds' isn't allowed.

Rohi

Added.
Mike28a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marianne, I cannot find a non abbreviation definition for the word "luv", currently valid. It is neither in thefreedictionary, nor anywhere on Oxford online.

I feel the need to restate my opinion that the valid wordlist is far too restrictive and ask that the players be polled for a broader opinion. Thank you again for your taking care of wordgame for us.

Mike
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
Marianne, I cannot find a non abbreviation definition for the word "luv", currently valid. It is neither in thefreedictionary, nor anywhere on Oxford online.

I feel the need to restate my opinion that the valid wordlist is far too restrictive and ask that the players be polled for a broader opinion. Thank you again for your taking care of wordgame for us.

Mike

I can find luv(s) neither. It has been removed.
I'm not in favour of your idea to poll, the reason is that I don't have more dictionaries to check.
Only that online dictionary: http://www.thefreedictionary.com and the Collins English Dictionary.

Last edited by Marianne on Sat Jan 13, 2007 21:59; edited 1 time in total
Rastaro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:

Mike

Hi Mike and others

There has been more than one occasion when I have felt frustrated as I have not been able to play a word and then like you have felt that the wordlist on this site IS too restrictive. I play scrabble elsewhere and hence my frustration at not being able to play certain words like for example KA,CH and a whole lot of other words besides and in fact I wonder if CWM will be allowed. I have not had an opportunity to try that word out as yet. One problem in not allowing a word like CH is that the C can be used as a block.

Having said all of the above I got to thinking and since this game isn't called Scrabble and since there are well defined dictionaries/rules in use for adjucating on words and since it is the same for ALL players, I think one should take this particular 'wordgame' for what it is and plays it. Without knowledge of all the words allowed it is hard to say IF this game can be played defensively and what I mean by that is that once one gets a good enough lead one basically blocks off the board to the opponent. IF that happened over a period of time and could be proven then there is reason to question the fairness of the game. In the meantime as far as I am concerned this site is using a subset of words from the ENABLE, SOWPODS and OSPD lists and those of us who play scrabble and are used to the full list of words need to get used to this or try to at least. This does NOT preclude us asking for a given word to be added as it also appears that the word list on this site is a work in progress and we need to give it time to be bedded down.

Rohi
Mike28a
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely Rastaro. I too have had to adapt, but recognize that the game is perfectly fair. My only complaint with the restrictions on the wordlist is that there are far too many letters that you can use to block the board. The better players do this routinely, and with so many easy blocks, c, g, and even the d, it becomes a slow game. I never liked the full Scrabble wordlist either, as pretty much any bad letters can be stuck together and used. It is far too liberal. Some compromise should work nicely, but it is a lot to expect Marianne to do it all. That is why I thought a poll might be useful. I am happy to play as it is.
Rastaro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
I agree completely Rastaro. I too have had to adapt, but recognize that the game is perfectly fair. My only complaint with the restrictions on the wordlist is that there are far too many letters that you can use to block the board. The better players do this routinely, and with so many easy blocks, c, g, and even the d, it becomes a slow game. I never liked the full Scrabble wordlist either, as pretty much any bad letters can be stuck together and used. It is far too liberal. Some compromise should work nicely, but it is a lot to expect Marianne to do it all. That is why I thought a poll might be useful. I am happy to play as it is.

A very fair point Mike. I forgot about the D as in the likes of DE not being allowed. The issue with a poll I guess is that it is like management by Committee and that doesnt necessarily work as no one can please everyone all the time. Well maybe as more people play the game and more issues come to light re the word game and get posted, Marianne and the other powers that be might reconsider some words.

Maybe what needs to be done is to try and get people to post what words they would like added and WHY. Of course the issue with this is that scrabble word lists are sometime just that just a list of words and often one cant find a meaning for them on a dictionary.

For example for the life of me I cant see why BRR and BRRR are allowed in SOWPODS or for that matter SH or even SNAFU. Equally though I respect Marianne's decision I DO think ZOO SHOULD be allowed as even though I can accept that ZOO is Zoological Gardens shortened the fact remains that Zoo is used in day to day parlance to stand for 'like a zoo' as opposed to being a shortened term for Zoological Gardens per se.

Rohi
Rastaro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please check IF EAGLED should be allowable or not thanks. I tried to play it in a game but it was rejected.

Rohi
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Page 3 of 123

Jump to: