FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 121, 122, 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1672
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

coan.net wrote:
Qi is already added, can we also have qis - which is multiple qi

Thanks.

Added.
rorororoOffline
Vip
Vip

Total posts: 11
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 22:36    Post subject: Re: Requests for adding new words into the wordlist Reply with quote

Is 'hurtings' possible?
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 23:52    Post subject: Re: Requests for adding new words into the wordlist Reply with quote

rorororo wrote:
Is 'hurtings' possible?

I can't find hurtings.
spot
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 0:21    Post subject: Nematics Reply with quote

Marianne,

Can nematics be added please?

Quote from wikipedia:
Quote:
Nematics have fluidity similar to that of ordinary (isotropic) liquids but they can be easily aligned by an external magnetic or electric field.
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:23    Post subject: Re: Nematics Reply with quote

spot wrote:
Marianne,

Can nematics be added please?
Quote from wikipedia:
Quote:
Nematics have fluidity similar to that of ordinary (isotropic) liquids but they can be easily aligned by an external magnetic or electric field.

Added.
Mike28a
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please add zig, which is on the referenced ENABLE list. Thank you.
TheTimmy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also allowed according TheFreeDictionary

zig Pronunciation (zg)
n.
One of a series of sharp turns or reversals: The zigs and zags of foreign policy.
intr.v. zigged, zig·ging, zigs
1. To turn or change direction suddenly. Usually used in contrast to zag: When your opponent zigs, zag!
2. To behave erratically or indecisively. Usually used with zag: The market has zigged and zagged for months.
Mike28a
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly do not wish to put a burden on Marianne, nor to give the impression that I am unhappy playing wordgame, but I do think a broader discussion of where valid words comes from, or are listed, would be a benefit to all players on YTMT.

The list that I can find at http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/ is the ENABLE 2K list, which contains many words that the program says are not valid. Is there a readable form of the valid words somewhere? I would love to not get the "Heeze is not a valid word" message as often as I do!

The rules do not allow abbreviations. I concur. Zoo is not an abbreviation, but a shortened form of zoological garden. Pub, a valid word, is the shortened form of public house. I cannot find an alternative meaning that is not an abbreviation (pub, short for publication, in my dictionary has the period after the b). Slang is also unacceptable, and rightly so, but is accepted colloquial english, e.g., fax , which is also not an abbreviation, strictly speaking slang? I think a positive list eliminates, or at least tempers, some of these discussions, and would be a good thing for the game.

Please do not take this ramble wrongly. I am very happy to be playing here with so many great players from around the world. Marianne is doing a great job. Just sharing some of my thoughts, hoping for a good beneficial discussion among my fellow players.

Think on, all! Smile
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
Please add zig, which is on the referenced ENABLE list. Thank you.

Added.
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
I certainly do not wish to put a burden on Marianne, nor to give the impression that I am unhappy playing wordgame, but I do think a broader discussion of where valid words comes from, or are listed, would be a benefit to all players on YTMT.

The list that I can find at http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/ is the ENABLE 2K list, which contains many words that the program says are not valid. Is there a readable form of the valid words somewhere? I would love to not get the "Heeze is not a valid word" message as often as I do!

The rules do not allow abbreviations. I concur. Zoo is not an abbreviation, but a shortened form of zoological garden. Pub, a valid word, is the shortened form of public house. I cannot find an alternative meaning that is not an abbreviation (pub, short for publication, in my dictionary has the period after the b). Slang is also unacceptable, and rightly so, but is accepted colloquial english, e.g., fax , which is also not an abbreviation, strictly speaking slang? I think a positive list eliminates, or at least tempers, some of these discussions, and would be a good thing for the game.

Please do not take this ramble wrongly. I am very happy to be playing here with so many great players from around the world. Marianne is doing a great job. Just sharing some of my thoughts, hoping for a good beneficial discussion among my fellow players.

Think on, all! Smile

My dictionairy says: An abbreviation (from Latin brevis "short") is a shorter form of a word.
Zoo: The term was first used in 1828 for the London Zoological Gardens, soon shortened by the Londoners to the abbreviation “zoo”. http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/zoo
Pub: Short for public house. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pub
So I will remove pub.
Pub has been removed.
fax Pronunciation (fks)
n. In both senses also called facsimile.
1. A fax machine.
2. A printed page or image transmitted or received by a fax machine.
tr.v. faxed, fax·ing, fax·es
To transmit (printed matter or an image) by electronic means.
[Shortening and alteration of facsimile.]
Fax remains in the wordlist. (allowed.)

About Slang we let it remain as it is:
unacceptable.

Thank you for think along with us.

Last edited by Marianne on Fri Jan 05, 2007 0:05; edited 1 time in total
Mike28a
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all of our English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish (others, if appropriate), I beg your forgiveness for killing the pub Very Happy
Wishmaster
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the English name for the bird is Macaw, the name Ara is also used in English. Is this acceptable for the game as well?
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishmaster wrote:
Although the English name for the bird is Macaw, the name Ara is also used in English. Is this acceptable for the game as well?

I only can find Ara as a proper or generic name. (Not allowed)
name:
A·ra Pronunciation (âr)
n.
A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near the constellations Norma and Telescopium. Therefore not allowed.
Macaw(s):
n.
Any of various parrots of the genera Ara and Anodorhynchus of Central and South America, including the largest parrots and characterized by long saber-shaped tails, curved powerful bills, and usually brilliant plumage.
Macaw was already in the wordlist.
TheTimmy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike28a wrote:
To all of our English, Irish, Welsh, and Scottish (others, if appropriate), I beg your forgiveness for killing the pub Very Happy

I think it's strange to leave pub out of the list. It's a word that's very common in English. I know it started as a shortening, but is has become a word in my opinion. I don't think the dictionary should be handled that rigid. To add a Dutch example:

Wij gaan toch ook naar het café en niet naar het koffiehuis?
Mike28a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marianne

Please add "pitter" found in the online dictionary, meaning a device for removing pits (stones) from cherries or olives. For example, see below.

7-in. Stainless Steel Cherry and Olive Pitter by Leifheit Customer ReviewBestseller
With the invention of this handy kitchen tool, removing cherry and olive...(more)

Very handy if you make pies or chop a lot of olives for tapenade, etc.

Thank you.
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Page 2 of 123

Jump to: