FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
360spoons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 23:11    Post subject: glute Reply with quote

I am able to find the word "glute" at the www.m-w.com online dictionary listed as a noun. Please add "glute" to the word list.
Thanks!
Back to top
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 21:28    Post subject: Re: glute Reply with quote

360spoons wrote:
I am able to find the word "glute" at the www.m-w.com online dictionary listed as a noun. Please add "glute" to the word list.
Thanks!

Glute is slang according to my dictionairies and therefore not allowed:
glute Pronunciation (glt)
n. Slang
A gluteus muscle. Often used in the plural.
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
StephanOffline
Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Total posts: 80
Gender: Unknown
Usa
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:42    Post subject: Re: glute Reply with quote

Marianne wrote:
360spoons wrote:
I am able to find the word "glute" at the www.m-w.com online dictionary listed as a noun. Please add "glute" to the word list.
Thanks!

Glute is slang according to my dictionairies and therefore not allowed:
glute Pronunciation (glt)
n. Slang
A gluteus muscle. Often used in the plural.


Please see:
glute

n : any one of three large skeletal muscles that form the buttock and move the thigh [syn: gluteus, gluteus muscle, gluteal muscle]

Does that not count either?
Back to top
View user's profile 
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:19    Post subject: Re: glute Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Marianne wrote:
360spoons wrote:
I am able to find the word "glute" at the www.m-w.com online dictionary listed as a noun. Please add "glute" to the word list.
Thanks!

Glute is slang according to my dictionairies and therefore not allowed:
glute Pronunciation (glt)
n. Slang
A gluteus muscle. Often used in the plural.


Please see:
glute

n : any one of three large skeletal muscles that form the buttock and move the thigh [syn: gluteus, gluteus muscle, gluteal muscle]

Does that not count either?

Glute is slang for: gluteus
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
StephanOffline
Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Total posts: 80
Gender: Unknown
Usa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we add "fis", as a music note?
Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile 
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
can we add "fis", as a music note?
Thanks

I'm sorry, but I cannot find Fis in my English dictionaries.
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
StephanOffline
Joined: 06 Oct 2005
Total posts: 80
Gender: Unknown
Usa
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about "ad"?
ad1  /æd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. advertisement.
2. advertising: an ad agency.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1835–45; by shortening]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
ad2  /æd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun Tennis. 1. advantage (def. 5).
2. ad in, the advantage being scored by the server.
3. ad out, the advantage being scored by the receiver.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1945–50; by shortening]
Back to top
View user's profile 
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
how about "ad"?
ad1  /æd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. advertisement.
2. advertising: an ad agency.
[Origin: 1835–45; by shortening]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source
ad2  /æd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun Tennis. 1. advantage (def. 5).
2. ad in, the advantage being scored by the server.
3. ad out, the advantage being scored by the receiver.
[Origin: 1945–50; by shortening]


In all my dictionaries is ad shortened (abbreviation) from: adapted; adapter; advertisement; advantage.
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
360spoons
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

please remove the word "teths"
thanks
Back to top
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

360spoons wrote:
please remove the word "teths"
thanks

Why?
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
Rastaro
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marianne and others

I can see that the requests for having words to be added and words to be deleted can become a saga and Marianne might end up tearing her hair out and this particular thread will become a v long one and I dont envy Marianne having to act as an arbiter on every request.

I am a scrabble player - albeit no expert - and hence am used to having many oddball words allowed where I play and some words have no apparent/obvious meaning and are taken on trust to wit BRR, BRRR and CH to name a few. ZO does have an accepted usage which Marianne might say is NOT allowed here and that is her right as Arbiter.

Just as an example here are some MORE words that are NOT on this site but allowed elsewhere:

AB, CH , ED, DE, ZO, BRR, BRRR and so the list goes on.

One of the issues in NOT allowing words such as CH and ZO among many others is that then one can use the C and the Z to block and close up a game and right now IMHO one can easily block or close up a game and that could be frustrating to many players. Also right now when I make a move I have to often take a move back as I think in scrabble terms.

So I wonder rather than have this ability to ADD words and DELETE words from the list IF we can ALL agree on some list that is freely available for general usage.

I did post a link previously but at this stage I am only posting this for discussion.

In the end we maybe have to agree this Word game is NOT scrabble and we should abide by whatever Marianne rules on as it is the same for us ALL.

I WOULD like some words such as ZO and CH added but that again is only adding to Marianne's possible problems.

Ro
Back to top
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rastaro wrote:

I WOULD like some words such as ZO and CH added but that again is only adding to Marianne's possible problems.

Ro

I have several English dictionairies and also one online http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com

ZO, I can find back as: Zo (people), an indigenous tribe in Burma. (But I wonder if we must add all tribes in our wordlist.)
The other words you've mentioned I can't find as words here allowed.
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
Rastaro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marianne

Bear in mind I cme from a scrabble playing background and in scrabble we have word LISTS and to call them dictionaries is a misnomer as one is hard put to find meanings for many of the words allowed in scrabble.

Having said that I am listing below a link to ALL the 2 and 3 letter words allowed in scrabble with meanings attached. It is upto you if you wish to allow any or all of these words.

2 Letter words Link

http://www.scrabble.org.au/words/twos.htm

3 Letter words

http://www.scrabble.org.au/words/3sdefs.htm

4 letter word list with no definitions

http://www.scrabble.org.au/words/fours.htm

Then there is the ENABLE word list which is by all accounts free to use by all game sites and the link to the downloadeble Word lists is below:

http://personal.riverusers.com/~thegrendel/software.html

Also here is a link which describes the ENABLE Word list:

http://www.puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=solving:wordlists:about:enable_readme

At the end of the day since the Word Game here is NOT Scrabble I am NOT for one minute suggesting you allowing all the words listed above BUT IF you used the ENABLE Word List or ists Superset which is I think called YAWL as a source then the need to act as arbiter over every word might be obviated as you can say that the word list in use is based on the ENABLE word list OR a subset or superset of it.

That is of course up to you and the site.

Ro = - an artificial language for international use that rejects all existing words and is based instead on an abstract analysis of ideas
Added

PS > According to pone of th9ose lists
Not added.

CH > English dial. for I
Not added

DE > preposition meaning of or from, in names
Not added

DI > a plural of deus (a god)
Not added

ED > educational
(informal speech)
Not added

MM > exclamation of satisfaction
Not added

YU > precious jade
Added

ZO > a Himalayan cross between a yak and a cow (also DZO, ZHO, )
Added
DSO and DZHO not added.
Back to top
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Total posts: 1685
Age: 66
Gender: Female
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

See our new topic for adding new words:
http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?t=211

And for removal or meaning of a specific word:
http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?p=1432#1432
_________________
Good luck and have fun yes
Back to top
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group