FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croscombe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:39    Post subject: Mistake or mirror? Reply with quote

I have been trying to decipher the example in tips and tricks. Is there an error or do you guess the configuration in mirror image?
In the 1st e.g. G Y W Y Bla
The 1st guess is shown as R Y Blu W G and given 2xblack pins and 1xwht. Why? Only one, the 1st Y on the left, is in the right place, unless the guess is in mirror image.
Can someone check the given e.g in tips and tricks and either rectify or clarify this for me please? Confused
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1059
Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07    Post subject: Re: Mistake or mirror? Reply with quote

Croscombe wrote:
I have been trying to decipher the example in tips and tricks. Is there an error or do you guess the configuration in mirror image?
In the 1st e.g. G Y W Y Bla
The 1st guess is shown as R Y Blu W G and given 2xblack pins and 1xwht. Why? Only one, the 1st Y on the left, is in the right place, unless the guess is in mirror image.
Can someone check the given e.g in tips and tricks and either rectify or clarify this for me please? Confused

why? because you cannot compare the 2 different colums, since on the right you do not see the pins that you needed to guess. Those are hidden bottom right.
Croscombe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:52    Post subject: Just a poor example then! Reply with quote

I presume you meant to use two words, 'coloured balls', in place of the word 'pins' and if that is the case, I think I discern from your, to be honest less than helpful, reply that the 2xblk & 1xwht relate to a configuration that is hidden, on the right, in the second image, on the rules page, titled game 13285 move 2.
Poorly chosen example, IMHO, considering this is supposed to be an explanation for novices, don't you think? Smile
Another row on each side is needed to have any hope of explaining this to someone attempting to play the game for the 1st time. Or at least a mention that the b&w pins bear no relation to anything showing, wouldn't you have thought? Confused
In the third image, allegedly from the same game, 13285 move 6, the configuration (being guessed) on both sides bears no relation whatsoever to move 1 or 2 shown above. Confusing don't you think?
Revise the 'explanatory images' (so that they actually do that) or change the game number on the third image. Preferably both. Good Luck Idea
The_BurglarOffline

Total posts: 104
Uk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules seem okey to me

but I have played the physical game also, so know rules

P.S. to guess/make random sequences use

https://www.random.org/dice/?num=5 and convert to colours
Croscombe
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 16:19    Post subject: Hello Burglar Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinion. I don't agree. Go to the page and check the facts.
I still mantain the 3 images/screenshots, the move numbering and particularly the game numbering are misleading because each and every one is wrong. Smile
The first is labled move 1. But it isn't move 1. It is an image of a half set-up game. Akin to only the white pieces laid out on a chess board.
The second is labled move 2. But it isn't move 2. It is half way through move 1, with an attempt to guess what's where, by the player on this side and a responding set of b&w pins only. Therefore half of 1st move...Yes.
The third is labled move 6. Now, if I'm wrong about the above it should be labled move 7. The even more glaring mistake however, unless you are allowed to change the coloured balls order during the game, is the game number. Rolling Eyes
How can all 3 screenshots come from game 13285?
The third image is not from the same game, but I concede it is labled correctly as move 6, sadly from another game. It is confusing to a novice.
CindyCoolCats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 20:24    Post subject: Re: Just a poor example then! EXACTLY!!! Reply with quote

Croscombe wrote:
I presume you meant to use two words, 'coloured balls', in place of the word 'pins' and if that is the case, I think I discern from your, to be honest less than helpful, reply that the 2xblk & 1xwht relate to a configuration that is hidden, on the right, in the second image, on the rules page, titled game 13285 move 2.
Poorly chosen example, IMHO, considering this is supposed to be an explanation for novices, don't you think? Smile
Another row on each side is needed to have any hope of explaining this to someone attempting to play the game for the 1st time. Or at least a mention that the b&w pins bear no relation to anything showing, wouldn't you have thought? Confused
In the third image, allegedly from the same game, 13285 move 6, the configuration (being guessed) on both sides bears no relation whatsoever to move 1 or 2 shown above. Confusing don't you think?
Revise the 'explanatory images' (so that they actually do that) or change the game number on the third image. Preferably both. Good Luck Idea

I'm glad I read your post... I am going to play my first game ever and the examples you so clearly pointed out, had me smh and saying wth... I think, I figured out how to play. If not, I'll learn as I go! Good post. Thanks.
Croscombe
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy, Glad it was useful, and that I had not imagined their errors. I am still surprised that the moderators have not changed the nonsense printed on that page. How difficult could that be? Good luck, thanks for the post. Smile PS If you want to play something more complicated try Carcassonne. I am hooked! Also you can go into peoples profile page by clicking on their name, then more details. Click on (expanded overview) which is next to profile name, and below you will see games in progress. This is how I have learned some new games you cannot practice. You will see all sorts of obscure games in action. If you click on the 1st move of a game you can scroll through and get the hang of it. Have fun and challenge me when you are confident Smile
CindyCoolCats
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again... thank you for your help. I will definitely keep you in mind when I'm ready to progress!! #Smile_colors
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: