FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1065
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:35    Post subject: Rule Change En Garde Reply with quote

I have implemented a rule change on the end game in En Garde.
For the previous discussion about it see: http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?t=715

If you now retreat in the final move then the winner is only determined by which fencer has moved farthest on the board.

Let me know if it works or if there are new bugs introduced.
MikaOffline
Total posts: 4
Finland
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the reason I lost the second round in game 1404163. I was really surprised by losing this round as I had more direct attacks possible.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game 1473976, round one.

I retreat one space, round ends. I am told I have lost because the other player has more direct attacks, but I am (much) further down the board and

"If the player retreats .. then the winner is determined only by which Fencer is currently furthest down the board"

.. should apply, shouldn't it?

"When a player attacks on the last move," - doesn't apply.

"If there is no winner yet (not even after the final attack), then the winner is determined as follows: The player (only if the last attack can be parried) with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack on the current situation on the board wins the round" - is what looks to have been applied, but no attack was made!
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprinted wrote:
Game 1473976, round one.

I retreat one space, round ends. I am told I have lost because the other player has more direct attacks, but I am (much) further down the board and

"If the player retreats .. then the winner is determined only by which Fencer is currently furthest down the board"

.. should apply, shouldn't it?

"When a player attacks on the last move," - doesn't apply.

"If there is no winner yet (not even after the final attack), then the winner is determined as follows: The player (only if the last attack can be parried) with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack on the current situation on the board wins the round" - is what looks to have been applied, but no attack was made!

First rule applies: The player (only if the last attack can be parried) with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack on the current situation on the board wins the round.
** Retreat is only valid when there was an attack. There was not.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
First rule applies: The player (only if the last attack can be parried) with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack on the current situation on the board wins the round.
** Retreat is only valid when there was an attack. There was not.

In that case, there was no attack either! As written, the rules say that without an attack, you go to the 'furthest down the board' check.

What I think you've implemented goes like:

"Unless the last move was a retreat from an indirect attack, the winner is the player with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack. If that is a tie, or the last move was a retreat from an indirect attack, the winner is the player further down the board"

.. yes?
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a funny situation where you lose if you move back one space when there's no attack, and win if you move back one space when there is or back five either way, but...
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. except that game 1473980, round six. At the end, they make an indirect attack, I retreat and the message is "round won by Black (more direct attacks possible)".

They did have more direct attacks, but if this isn't "If the player retreats .. then the winner is determined only by which Fencer is currently furthest down the board", what is?

(It would be the same result in this case, but if the implementation isn't clear, it's hard to play!)
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a normal round end based on the facts that are no more cards on the stack. You did not attack on the last move: the last move is a retreat.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, it doesn't make any difference to the result in this case, and yes, it was a retreat - a move back as a result of not being able / willing to parry an indirect attack - and so..

..should apply, shouldn't it?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprinted wrote:

..should apply, shouldn't it?

no
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok.

So the 'furthest down only' comes into play if and only if the deck expires when someone does an indirect attack and, after the deck has expired, the other player retreats from it?

In every other case, it's 'most possible attacks, and if that's a tie, furthest down'?
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, this is one where the result isn't affected, but the message cannot be correct:

gamenumber 1473972, turnnumber 33.

Black does an indirect attack, takes last deck card (and is left one short), white retreats one, message is..

"round won by Black (more direct attacks possible). Cards white: 3345, cards black: 1553."

.. even though a) the distance at that point is two, and b) if this is not an 'only furthest down counts' finish, I really do not know what is.

Would I have won if I'd jumped back three, making the distance four? The message says yes, the rules now say no.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

unprinted wrote:
Again, this is one where the result isn't affected, but the message cannot be correct:

gamenumber 1473972, turnnumber 33.

Black does an indirect attack, takes last deck card (and is left one short), white retreats one, message is..

"round won by Black (more direct attacks possible). Cards white: 3345, cards black: 1553."

.. even though a) the distance at that point is two, and b) if this is not an 'only furthest down counts' finish, I really do not know what is.

Would I have won if I'd jumped back three, making the distance four? The message says yes, the rules now say no.

Black probably parried so distances is 1? You should have gone back 3 instead.

This is the last time I will check this for you. Sorry but it costs time every time and you were never right.
unprintedOffline
Vip
Vip
Uk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, you are right, sorry.

Going back three would not have helped - having retreated, I would have lost on distance... I think.
FredactOffline
Vip
Vip

Total posts: 18
Usa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 22:05    Post subject: Re: Rule Change En Garde Reply with quote

bram wrote:
I have implemented a rule change on the end game in En Garde.
For the previous discussion about it see: http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?t=715

If you now retreat in the final move then the winner is only determined by which fencer has moved farthest on the board.

Let me know if it works or if there are new bugs introduced.

You may want to change this in the Tips and Tricks rules for En Garde.

I'd just come here to try to figure out why I'd lost a game (I'd only ever read the rules here on YTMY), and now I understand the rule is different than what I'd planned for.

Thanks for all you do here.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: