Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwibillOffline
Total posts: 9
Newzealand
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:50    Post subject: Atoll equalization Reply with quote

At the moment, it seems to me that there is too great an
advantage to the first mover to be convenient, especially for
tournaments for Atoll.

A simple way to deal with it would be to have the first move
restricted away from some central area, somewhat similar
too the case with go-moku (though there it is the third move).

What do people think?

-- kiwibill
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1075
Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second player has always the possibility to claim the first players move!!! See the rules. Probably not a lot of people know that, but if you are the second player you can choose to take over the color and spot of the first player.
monkey_sandwich
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think black's first move gives him too much advantage, why don't you swap colors by clicking his piece and send move? Smile
monkeyswinkle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 22:00    Post subject: Re: Atoll equalization Reply with quote

kiwibill wrote:
At the moment, it seems to me that there is too great an
advantage to the first mover to be convenient, especially for
tournaments for Atoll.

A simple way to deal with it would be to have the first move
restricted away from some central area, somewhat similar
too the case with go-moku (though there it is the third move).

What do people think?

-- kiwibill

I had that impression when I started playing. But, the more I've played and faced top opponents, the more I came to think that it really doesn't matter all that much. It's not completely unimportant, but in high level play, players end up using a lot of real estate as it is, and smart plays quickly turn any small advantage a player might get for playing first. It's way to hard to keep pressing an advantage due to playing first throughout the whole game. Also, I've found the center spots to be less critical than I originally thought. In most of the games I've played recently, it seems just as many (or more) winning paths end up being along the edges. Or, more specifically, since the paths tend to wind all over the board, the critical points to really fight for in the path end up being ones close to exits.

Follow some of the tournament finals games. The top players, like monkey_sandwich, win no matter what color they are or where the first move is. The key is finding critical points to capture at certain points of the game, and the beginning usually isn't one of them.
charish
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 13:58    Post subject: statistics Reply with quote

If you look at the general statistics, it does odd out Atoll in difference between black and white. Where the winning percentage is usually about 46-55%, in atoll the difference is black winning 62.89% of the time compared to white 37.11%.
It is the highest difference margin between white and black winnings compared to any game on this site
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atoll statistics cannot be interpreted by this since you can change colors in the 2nd move!
dg_is_funOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 7
Usa
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:50    Post subject: Tried to switch, black got an extra move instead Reply with quote

In my game, I tried to switch, but the switch did not take effect. Instead, black got to start the game with two moves.

Has anybody else had this error?

This has happened to me in two separate games now. Is there some step I am missing besides clicking on the black tile on the board?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

see bug reported, please report there your game numbers.

http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?t=1179
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: