FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fridgemen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Stacko Tournament Reply with quote

Hi...

In Stacko every 2nd Day a Tournament starts... is it possible to increase from 14 Players to 28players?

or what exactly r the reasons for keeping the 14 players limit?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1065
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's every 3rd day with some exceptions to 2 days. I rather have fast starting tournaments then bigger tournaments, so I am hesitant.
fridgemen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

i accept that point... but i really wonder how long it would take to fill in 28players ^^
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1065
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

fridgemen wrote:
i accept that point... but i really wonder how long it would take to fill in 28players ^^

No way to know... In theory it could be indefinetly Smile
fridgemen
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a good idea how to check... i'm going to find out this weekend... and ill tell u then Wink
Pianomatic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
fridgemen wrote:

No way to know... In theory it could be indefinetly Smile

I suspect there are several players out there that would prefer 28-player tournaments. What I find frustrating about this thread is this:

There doesn't appear to be any system in place to determine whether a 14- or 28-player tournament is appropriate, other than what you feel is right, apparently based on your personal preference as the super admin.

A site like this would really benefit from an automatic system that can determine how many players should be allowed in a tournament. For instance, if a tournament starts within a certain period of time (24 hours, 36 hours, whatever) then the next tournament of that game-type could be 28 players. Or if a 28 player tournament doesn't start after being available for a certain period of time (perhaps a few days), it automatically downsizes to 14 players and takes the first 14 sign ups, with the remaining players automatically being entered in a 28 player tournament. Then, as a safeguard against flip flopping between 14- and 28-players, a 28-player tournament could be ineligible until a certain amount of time has passed (say, a few weeks).

The site happens to track how many active players there are for each game type, which means that a minimum active-player roster could be required to have larger tournaments. For instance, if half of all active players tend to participate in tournaments, then a minimum of 56 active players could be required in order to make that game eligible for 28-player tournaments.

A system like this would also open up the possibility of determining when even larger tournaments become available. Perhaps tournaments with a larger elimination round (eighth finals) or two round robin rounds. (Backgammon tournaments seem to start, on average, every day and a bit, so perhaps this is a game that would benefit from larger tournaments.)

Being clear about how this all works, with clear cut rules, would make fewer people ask questions. As a programmer myself, I find your above response extremely frustrating, since it seems to say, "I'm hesitant to implenement bigger tournaments because I have this arbitrary gut feeling about what might happen." The site tracks players and their habits within the site. Leverage that data to make logical changes, rather than making changes based on what you feel like.
fridgemen
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ bram: Stacko has 28players in one week... if u want proof ill send the excel file to u...
Patricia703Online
Supervip
Supervip

Total posts: 1
Usa
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sign up for a tournament, I want to play ASAP, so if more players means waiting longer to play that wouldn't be much fun. Now that I am a VIP and can sign up for more tournaments, I don't mind waiting for a few of them to start. But when I was a non-paying member and could only sign up for a few, I hated waiting. The majority of members are non-paying so this is a consideration.
Zapmeister
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth pointing out that the time it takes for a 14-player tournament to start is not necessarily an indication of how long it would take a 28-player tournament to start.

For example, if there is exactly 20 keen Stacko players on the site, and those players sign up for the next tournament as soon as they can, then 14-player tournaments will start very quickly.

But if there is no more than those 20 players that want to play Stacko, then a 28-player tournament will never start.
fridgemen
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i counted there r 28 players every week... i checked the last 2 months... 28 diffrent players signed up for a tournament in 7-9 days...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: