Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mozzer
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 15:41    Post subject: Dummy players in Tornaments Reply with quote

Quite often - in less popular games e.g. checkers - there are players in the tournaments who never play a move. Whether these are real players in uncertain but the scoring is annoying.

No changing in ratings for winning these games however tournament points are awarded pushing one through to meet the stronger players in the later rounds, where there is an incresed chance of losing and the overall ratings to decrease.

I would suggest that ratings points be awarded for winning games where the "opponent" makes no move.

Mozzer
chardir
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the player plays no moves and loses all games then all the other players in the group will gain equal TPR points, so I don't think it makes a difference.
mozzer
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes no differnece to the tournament but it does to the overall rating as mentioned previously.

If I play backgammon and the opponent opens with a double six, I should not then decide to simply play no move in the game as my chance of winning has diminished.

I do feel that a player should receive credit to their overall ratings should the opposition not play and feel that the reason this hasn't been done already is due to opposition that doesn't really exist.
Zapmeister
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly annoying when players join tournaments, then subsequently abandon them without playing a single turn. While thinking about this, a strategy to reduce the problem occurred to me.

As I recall, players that are on holiday when a tournament starts are removed from the tournament, delaying the start. This speeds up tournaments (once they start) and is therefore a good thing, I think.

Since the concept of removing players when a tournament starts is already in place, it could be extended to reduce the number of dummy players.

A player's profile includes information about the the player's "Last Time Online", and any player that does not check the site for a week or more is clearly at risk of timing out in any tournament that might start in that time.

It would therefore make sense to remove from the tournament, in addition to players that are on holiday, those players that have not checked the site for a week or more. What do you think?
chesslover
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support this proposal Cool
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: