Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildfire2099
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:40    Post subject: Wall Tiles Reply with quote

Great job on the implementation of the game... just one little thing... any chance of a rollover for the wall tiles to tell you which they are? They're pretty small, and it's tough to see which tile is which (for me, anyway) at a glance.
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1708
Netherlands
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:02    Post subject: Re: Wall Tiles Reply with quote

Wildfire2099 wrote:
Great job on the implementation of the game... just one little thing... any chance of a rollover for the wall tiles to tell you which they are? They're pretty small, and it's tough to see which tile is which (for me, anyway) at a glance.

If you hover with your mouse over the little dot, under the board, (black or white) you can see which wall tiles you have and what they are.
Wildfire2099
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I was lookin' for. Thanks!
SilverTrainOffline
Vip
Vip
Total posts: 119
Usa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 0:05    Post subject: Program mistake?? Reply with quote

http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/carcassonne/play.php?gamenumber=560819

(At 27.i10) Why did I not collect the wall tile at 56-57? I was at 53 and got scores of 2 and 3. It was my opponent's play, but I have seen other games where that did not matter. It probably won't affect the outcome of this game, but I would just like to know if this is some kind of error or glitch.
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 13:41    Post subject: Re: Program mistake?? Reply with quote

SilverTrain wrote:
http://www.yourturnmyturn.com/carcassonne/play.php?gamenumber=560819

(At 27.i10) Why did I not collect the wall tile at 56-57? I was at 53 and got scores of 2 and 3. It was my opponent's play, but I have seen other games where that did not matter. It probably won't affect the outcome of this game, but I would just like to know if this is some kind of error or glitch.

In this game you´ve got 5 points and not 2 or 3.
And therefore you did not receive a wall tile.

Strategy: Sometimes it is better to complete a building or road earlier and get less points. If you end with your keeper exactly on a corner you can earn a wall tile. Good thinking ahead and counting is important.
SilverTrainOffline
Vip
Vip
Usa
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 21:49    Post subject: Re: Program mistake?? Reply with quote

Marianne wrote:

Thanks Marianne, although I do not quite understand that. If I had scored for just one house worth five, that stipulation would be clear, but this was separate houses; beneath the diagram, it reads:

Status message: Score black: +2 (house) +3 (house).
MarianneOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 22:36    Post subject: Re: Program mistake?? Reply with quote

SilverTrain wrote:
Marianne wrote:

Thanks Marianne, although I do not quite understand that. If I had scored for just one house worth five, that stipulation would be clear, but this was separate houses; beneath the diagram, it reads:

Status message: Score black: +2 (house) +3 (house).

Your keeper (= score) has to stop at a wall tile to earn that wall tile. And not passed it.
You've finished 2 houses. One for 2 points and one for 3 points.
So if you only had a 2 OR 3 score, by completing f.i. one house you received that wall tile.
tpfnat
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The explanation is different than stated by Marianne:

Quote rules:
If there are multiple features completed after a turn then first the points for the current player are scored in such a way that he/she gets the optimal number of wall tiles. After that the points of the opponent are scored and he/she gets the least possible number of wall tiles.

That means that if you start on 53, you get first 2 points, then 3 point. You land on 55 en 58 and miss the tile.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1075
Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct tpfnat!
SilverTrainOffline
Vip
Vip
Usa
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpfnat wrote:
The explanation is different than stated by Marianne:

Quote rules:
If there are multiple features completed after a turn then first the points for the current player are scored in such a way that he/she gets the optimal number of wall tiles. After that the points of the opponent are scored and he/she gets the least possible number of wall tiles.

That means that if you start on 53, you get first 2 points, then 3 point. You land on 55 en 58 and miss the tile.

Interesting, even enlightening, albeit confusing. I thought this rule applied to situations where both players scored and both would land on the same space (or one of two) that contained a wall tile, although this was clearly not the case in my example. Apparently, this is another method of construing that rule, but it seems peculiar, because if I had only scored the house of 3, I would have collected the wall tile but combined separate scores miss it. If it had been 3 and 3 (rather than 2 and 3) would I then get the tile, as one (rather than zero) would have been the "least number"?
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not confusing..

The rule is that the player on turn does the moving/scoring on the wall.. So that player has only 1 goal: to get as many tiles for him and as least as possible for the opponent.
unprintedOffline
Total posts: 61
Uk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come across one issue: four points away from a wall tile, I finish one two tile tower and one one tile tower, plus play a 'double tower points' tile.

What I expected to happen: get four plus (two times two) points plus the wall tile.

What actually happened: get (four times two) plus two points, and no wall tile.

The scoring algorithm optimises for points, not wall tile collection, and that is not always what the player wants!

Had I known it was going to do that, I would either have made a (doubled) three tile tower and a two tile house = more points, or not played the double tower wall tile = got the wall tile.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the rules and according to our rules: "If you play a bonus tile and you have more then 1 completed feature of that type, the bonus is always applied to the biggest structure. "
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: