Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChemtoxOffline
Total posts: 10
Mexico
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 22:02    Post subject: Bug? 1st player gets 20 tiles, 2nd only 19. Reply with quote

Currently, only 39 tiles are drawn per game, instead of all 40 (see for example this game, where 132 is missing).

I don't see anything on the rules about this, though it's probably made on purpose, owing to the weird end of game rule: if the second player got the 40th piece, the first player would be able to play one more piece.

Still, an extra drawn piece is an increase of some 5% of the first player's options, which is still a considerable advantage, even as compensation for playing first (if that's a disadvantage at all, I'm not sure).

Perhaps the rule should read "the game ends when any player has no tiles to play on her turn, or all players pass in succession"? That would allow for drawing and playing the same number of tiles, and not having to hide one too. Razz
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1083
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules are clear on this: The game ends when any player runs out of tiles or all players pass in succession. The player with the highest score wins.

If player 1 runs out of tiles i.e. plays his last tile, player 2 has still a tile, but the game ends!
ChemtoxOffline
Mexico
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
The rules are clear on this: The game ends when any player runs out of tiles or all players pass in succession. The player with the highest score wins.

Yep, I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that there's a possible bug in YTMT's implementation, and that the game could be more balanced:

1. YTMT only puts 39 tiles in play, removes 1.
2. The first player has an advantage as things are (he gets an extra piece).
3. His advantage would be even greater if you fix #1 (he would play one more piece).

bram wrote:
If player 1 runs out of tiles i.e. plays his last tile, player 2 has still a tile, but the game ends!

Except that in YTMT, usually the contrary happens: player 2 is the first to run out of tiles, since only 39 are used, which is my point: where on the rules says you should remove one tile?

Now I think what is happening is the usual array[1] instead of array[0] mistake. If so, better leave it as is, Razz because the first player's advantage would be even bigger with all 40 tiles (he would lay one more tile than the second player as I said), unless you also change the end of game rule.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1083
Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forget that we put 1 tile already in the middle of the board at the start of the game! In your example it was 132!
ChemtoxOffline
Mexico
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

bram wrote:
You forget that we put 1 tile already in the middle of the board at the start of the game! In your example it was 132!

D'oh, lol, you're right. Embarassed I was puzzled when I saw the first player end up with an unused tile, and then I used the move list to "find" the missing one, which of course was the first tile, it not being on the list. Alright, never mind me. Razz
Reply to topic All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: