Yourturnmyturn.com
Forum of yourturnmyturn.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1074
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48    Post subject: Re: Rule Change En Garde Reply with quote

It's in the rules!

Fredact wrote:
bram wrote:
I have implemented a rule change on the end game in En Garde.
For the previous discussion about it see: http://forum.yourturnmyturn.com/viewtopic.php?t=715

If you now retreat in the final move then the winner is only determined by which fencer has moved farthest on the board.

Let me know if it works or if there are new bugs introduced.

You may want to change this in the Tips and Tricks rules for En Garde.

I'd just come here to try to figure out why I'd lost a game (I'd only ever read the rules here on YTMY), and now I understand the rule is different than what I'd planned for.

Thanks for all you do here.
krell42Offline
Vip
Vip

Total posts: 16
Usa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been confused by the wording in the rules for en garde regarding drawing the last card...honestly, it really seems like losing a few times is the only way to figure out how it works...

I want to also say that I appreciate all the hard work you do, Bram, to keep this site running, but I have to say that your dismissal of unprinted's questions was a bit harsh...unprinted was merely trying to understand the rule, and I can sympathize...the rules are not very clear, in my opinion.
krell42Offline
Vip
Vip

Total posts: 16
Usa
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:23    Post subject: End of game rules Reply with quote

Game: 1871368

Here is a perfect example of how the written rules to engarde are not clear. The '3 ways' to end a game do not include what happens when the final move is Not an attack. I lost the fifth round because, according to the loss message, i had less direct attacks available after the last move, even though i had made an attack in the previous round.

"If the player retreats or if there still is no winner, then the winner is determined only by which Fencer is currently furthest down the board."

Yet, I lost.

I do not see, in the rules, what the results will be if the last move (with a draw card or cards available and they take the last card or cards) is a retreat.

I believe a clarification should be put into the rules.
bramOffline
Superadmin
Superadmin

Total posts: 1074
Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that 5th round you lost because white retreated and could do so since you made an indirect attack. And then the 3 bullet applies below ending and winning a round. Perfectly clear.

Bullet 1: does not apply: your opponent can retreat
Bullet 2: does not apply since there are legal moves
So bullet 3 applies: last cad has been taken: The player with the most cards in hand that would allow for a direct attack on the current situation on the board wins the round.

Now I close this topic.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: